Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ron Paul: Why Can't We 'Put Into Our Body Whatever We Want?'- Part Two!

So do we have the right to put into our bodies whatever we want?

Ron Paul fans have attempted to rebuke me in my response to Dr. Paul's recent statement "Why is it we can’t put into our body whatever we want?" in my previous post here.

I suggested that not everything available to put in our bodies is beneficial nor wise to ingest. The Bible says: With freedom comes great responsibility. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

To which a commenter named Paul responded:
"Of course what Paul might ask is where in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 does the text say we are responsible for what *someone else* puts into their bodies? Does mandated good behavior bring people closer to God? Does Jesus teach us that we gain righteousness by behaving well? By believing in laws to make us good? Christianity is based on our own good behavior no matter what others do around us or to us. There is no command that we make others behave well."

I answered: "The Christian has the responsibility to live out God's Word as written and tell others the truth within it. Dr. Paul used the word "we" including himself. Isn't he also a Christian? We cannot command others to behave well, but the Christian should certainly not encourage people to put in their bodies whatever they want!"

In fact, Dr. Ron Paul is a self ascribed Baptist. Taking Dr. Paul's comment to it's logical and eventual conclusion, those who continue to put "whatever they want" into their bodies will have an affect on the rest of society. Just take a look at the unrestrained society of Sodom and Gomorrah if you doubt this. Many lifestyle choices lead to serious health issues, death of self as well as the unintentional deaths of others who "got in the way". Everyone should agree that the Government has the right and responsibility to "interfere" with the rights of individuals for the common good at a certain point. At which point, we will never entirely agree. Hence, the purpose of democracy. 


Politically, I agree with Dr. Paul on quite a bit and admit that even he would be a better alternative as President than out current leader who I believe is governing against the will of the people. (My current favorite is Rick Santorum.) But like any politician, Paul must be held accountable for his ideas and values when they extend beyond the perimeter of public safety and the greater common welfare.

What do you think?


5 comments:

Hack said...

I agree 100%. I agree with Ron Paul on a lot, but some things he says are simply misguided, dangerous, and WRONG.

Anonymous said...

Do you honestly think he wants to get rid of all the drug laws? You guys are idiots. He's just taking a page from Obama's playbook. He knows you can't win without pulling in some Dems, so he's promising the Dems what they want without any intention of really giving it to them. And, of course, even conservative kids use drugs. He's got the perfect position, or would, except that idiots like you are too stupid to see what he's doing. Besides that morons, the President can't just get rid of laws!!!!! Congress has to do that! He's the only one that takes our financial crisis seriously. I want all foreign aid ended now. That's all that matters since WE'RE BROKE. How are we going to enforce the drug laws anyway when we go completely bankrupt? But, I guess he couldn't really end all the foreign aid anyway. Again, I think you need congress for that. But electing him would send those pieces of crap the message: end foreign aid now. That's borrowed money! We're paying the interest on it and you're giving it to all the stinking Moozlims. Its oppression.

Anonymous said...

Mormons choose not to use caffeine. Should their beliefs dictate everyone's behavior? Jews don't eat pork. Should we all have to stop eating bacon? Understand that your feelings about the "War on Drugs" come from your beliefs and morals. If I want to partake in an activity that does not harm anyone else I should be free to do so regardless of the impact on my own well-being. No one can tell me what is right for me just as no one can tell you what is right for you. I understand where you are coming from but also know that the most you can do is educate people so they have the tools to make "good" decisions. Creating laws so people will live up to a moral standard is a fools errand. Morality is too subjective. That is why we are free to object to how someone chooses to live but we also must be okay with them making their own choices because in the end we can only be responsible for our own actions. Educate don't legislate!

Freedom fighter said...

I agree people should be careful about what they put in their bodies! Legal drugs are being prescribed to children to combat ADD with no idea how these drugs impact and influence delicate brain growth and development. Legal drugs kill more people than illegal ones. Marijuana is classified as more dangerous than cocaine on our federal drug schedule list which is why doctors can't prescribe it legally under federal law, even though there isn't a single case of death by overdose of marijuana. I don't like drugs, caffeine makes me jittery, alcohol gives me headaches, artificial colors and flavors I don't know what they do but I'm much happier when I cut them from my diet. Thank god we finally have smoke free bars & restaurants. All this said the majority of drug laws allow the steady proliferation of black markets that have no safety protocols, influenced and funded by / for dangerous drug cartels and gangs fighting with guns to control drug turf. You pay people with guns to imprison drug addicts who should be in rehab, while providing an ideal system of incarceration that educates drug criminals and promotes gangs from the inside out, while letting violent crimes, rape, and massive white collar crime escape true justice. Add to this that the majority of people convicted of drug crimes are low income ethnic people and you have a statistical racist profile motivated class warfare program designed to allow rich private corporate prison companies to flourish. Doesn't the fact that we claim to be free country based on liberty and incarcerate more people than any other country on the planet mean anything? On the issue of being able to decide what I can put in my body I am in full agreement, first I would like all genetically modified food labeled in my state, so I am able to make a more informed decision on exactly what I am ingesting. I think the list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. That is the most dangerous legal harmful drug on this planet and we have no idea what they put in it to make it so deadly. Christians should live by Jesus's example be the best you can be. Lead by example stop wasting your time trying to make others do what you think they should do and just be the best role model you can be! I think it ludicrous that a doctor can prescribe me harmful legal man made drugs but I'm not allowed to buy raw milk. I want to decide for myself the things I can put in my body as close to the way god meant it to be please!

oaebcr said...

The war on drugs has failed! We need a different approach. I have never partaken of an illegal drug in my life. Why should I have to pay towards preventing someone from getting a substance that they are going to obtain anyway?

Followers

Total Pageviews